Saturday, March 29, 2008

Eat Pray Love

Why have I not read this book sooner? I've heard about it from forever ago. I bought it on Thursday at Borders and just finished it. This is actually the first real book I've read all year, I am ashamed to admit. {No wait, I actually read A Thousand Splendid Suns in January. Whew!} I just haven't found anything that really interests me. And when I read, the book typically consumes me until I am finished.

But back to Elizabeth Gilbert. I have never experienced the despair she did, yet I can still relate to a lot she was going through. Her quest for spirituality. I have never been a spiritual person, but I think one reason I love yoga is that feeling of release of all other thoughts except what you are doing in that moment to get into that pose. I joke sometimes that yoga is my church (especially since we go on Sunday mornings). And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Her book touched me as I am sure it touched many people. It also inspires me. It makes me feel torn too - kind of like how my sister is kind of fancy pants but wants to be more eco-conscious too. I think sometimes I put too much importance of needing and wanting things, when things aren't really all that important. I would like to work on being a better me. This is what attracts me to scrapbooking and photography - I feel like these hobbies allow me to express myself honestly and appreciate all that I have instead of just wanting more.

I guess that is enough philosphy for one post. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

tinger said...

Yarbs - I told you to read the book earlier this year! glad you liked it and finally have read it!!! xoxo