Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Auspicious day

Backbends are one of the toughest poses in ashtanga yoga. Correction, doing backbends properly is really tough, at least for one yogi who does not have a very flexible back.
Urdhva Dhanurasana
I finally learned to go back into backbends from standing while in India, but coming up was a whole another challenge. I have basically spent almost every practice since then working on coming up. And today I did it! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can do it again tomorrow, and the day after and the day after...you get the idea.

Yoga definitely requires much patience and dedication. But I really believe good things happen when you do your daily practice.

3 comments:

Megan G said...

I miss being a kid, because when I was about ten or so I could not only fall into a backbend at the drop of a hat, I could flip over backwards. Ah the flexibility of kids.

Congrats on getting there! Wishing you luck tomorrow, and the next day, and the next.

Laura said...

How did you learn going down? Was it using a wall behind you? Try the reverse so you have the wall to walk your hands up. That way you have support while you build those back muscles. Another way is to pop back and forth from your feet to your hands. It works forward or backwards. That's a Pop Over. One leg leading is a Walk Over.

You absolutely have to do it everyday, or loose the muscles and flexibility.

Look who's giving advice. I haven't done any of these moves in 20 years.

greatbleuheron said...

I'm in awe. I'd love to be able to do that someday. Good for you for working on it despite how hard it must be. You must be so proud of yourself to see all your progress!

Beth