Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Mom and me..


I thought this was a good blog challenge. 5 similarities and 5 differences between me and my mom. I find it funny that I can almost immediately pick out a million differences, but it's hard to see the similarities. For one, my mom is a neat freak and likes things to be clean and out of the way. I like things to be clean and out of the way, but I don't go out of my way to clean! She throws everything and anything out. I am such a pack rat. I think it's a result of Mom always throwing things out (and I get that from my dad).

Mom had no interest in scrapbooking whatsoever. I love it. I love taking pictures, preserving memories... you name it!

Mom had babies when she was 24. I can't even imagine it. I am ten years older than that and still no babies. I am working on Joe because I would like to change that in the next few years, but I still feel like a baby myself!

Mom is a get things done kind of woman. I am a procrastinator (again, like Dad). I need to work on that.

And lastly, running is my best form of cardio. Mom's got bad knees and can't run much. But she is insane about her workouts. I can be too, but definitely not like Mom.

Actually this is making me think of things that we are alike in. We both love to read. She's been doing a lot more now that she's retired.

We both practice yoga. She encouraged me a few years ago, but I haven't really been serious about it until this past year. Now I'm addicted.

We're both working woman. The one thing Mom drilled into Ting and I when we were growing up is that we needed to be self-sufficient and not depend on any person (i.e. man) to live. I think she saw a lot of our neighbors going through divorces (and mostly with the wives being SAHMs) and she never wanted us to be in such a difficult situation. For that I am forever grateful.

We both love to travel. I have been fortunate because I have been all over the world, thanks to my parents. Let's see, North America, Europe, Asia and Africa are the continents I have visited. I would like to put South America and Australia/New Zealand on that list!

And lastly we both love our families the most. She doesn't verbalize it in so many words, but my mom has always made me feel loved. I've tried not to disappoint her too much and sometimes not always succeeded, but through think and thin she's always been there for me. I can't imagine not having someone like her (and dad) to always count on.

I guess that was easier than I thought. I know she's not reading this right now, but I'll say it anyways. I love you Mom.

No comments: