Saturday, March 19, 2011

Too many chapatis

DSC_5062
This afternoon we took a cooking class with Shaila.

DSC_5078
She demonstrated cooking some dishes that would comprise a South Indian Thali:

DSC_5085
Dhal Curry

DSC_5097
Beetroot palya

DSC_5099
Brinjal (egplant) Potato Masala

DSC_5145
Curd Rice

2011 03 19 photoDSC_5153DSC_5156
And a few different rotis and chapatis.


DSC_5163
The finished products were delicious.

DSC_5162
Marika making a chapati.

DSC_5126
Shaila and me. My face is covered with paint, courtesy of some passing young boys celebrating Holi, the Hindu Festival of Colors and marking the start of spring.

DSC_5168
Me and the 83-year-old helper.

DSC_5075
While I don't see myself making an entire Thali anytime in the near or distant future, I like seeing the process and learning the combination of spices that are used. I even bought myself a masala spice box so I can have my own collection of spices. I do plan on using more cumin, curry, turmeric and coriander when I cook veggies!

5 comments:

curls-and-pearls said...

OH yumm!! Thanks for sharing your adventures, I enjoy reading about them :)

Cynthia said...

Beetroot palya, yum. I love beets but I don't think I ever was served anything with beets when I was in Pune. I'll have to see if the internet knows how to make it.

Happy Holi!

Cosmic said...

mmm mmm yum with lovely vibrantly-spirited photos too!

xoxo

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Oh this was a fantastic opportunity - thanks so much for sharing! I love Indian food, especially the flat breads!

Al Durrell said...

You live a charmed life, EE! Looks delicious. Although... I'm not so sure how I would feel about toes that close to the food prep area...