Thursday, September 15, 2011

Baby steps

I am so envious of all the thrifty style bloggers out there like Jentine and Megan and Linda and Sal, to name a few, who seem to find the most incredible pieces at amazing prices weekly. The few times I have been thrifting I have a hard time getting over the weird smell and nothing grosses me out more that old used shoes. I know I should just get over myself, but I find that going to thrift stores is best when looking for Halloween costumes and that's about it.

I don't want to give up, though, because I know buying second-hand is good for the environment as well as the wallet. And I know there have to be some gems waiting to be found out there in the Houston thrift store market.

2011 08 consignment
So I thought I would try a consignment store first. Granted, the pieces will be more expensive than at a thrift store, but I figured it would be "safer." I went to this place during lunch on a working Saturday a few weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised. The store was clean, neat, and well-organized. She had a whole section of Tory Burch items as well as designer bags. And quite a few ladies were inside shopping.

09.13.11
dress: J.Crew, from consignment
shoes: Seychelles, remix'd
earrings: gift'd&remix'd
bag: Gucci, remix'd

This dress was one of the 2 pieces I took home with me. I love the color, shape and fit. Now at $20 it wasn't cheap by any means but it was much less than any dress I could buy from J.Crew right now. So I will take it as a win. Now I have to muster up the energy to go to our local Goodwill.

****************************************************************************************
In unrelated but still important news you-need-to-know-about-EE, I tweaked my shoulder doing Supta Kurmasana (Sleeping Tortoise) yesterday. The pose involves putting both legs over your shoulders and behind your legs while binding your hands behind your back:
Supta Kurmasana
photo credit: Flickr


I can get into this pose with lots of help. Yesterday Yannis did his usual push my left shoulder forward to get my left leg over my shoulder and head but I must have pulled a muscle or something because my shoulder did not feel right afterwards and I had to cut my practice short. I have been icing it and taking Aleeve and am going to see my doctor this morning. Hopefully it's just something a little rest will help. Getting old sucks!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

i love thrift shopping, and hope your shoulder get better soon!...i used to be able to do the splits and all...now i am hopeless

Rebecca said...

I definitely enjoy consignment shopping more than thrift shopping, because the stores in my area have such a good selection. The clothes are cheaper than they are new, but they are pretty likely to be stylish and in good condition.

Beck, At Her Best said...

That dress is a great find! I hope your shoulder feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

Wahoo! Great find, lady! We'll make a thrifter of you yet. ;)

Megan G said...

Aww yay! congrats on trying it out, you got a great piece. It looks fantastic on you. Don't fear the Goodwill, just remember - everything can and will wash. Including you!

Hope you're feeling better soon. Take it easy.

Style Journey said...

Congrats on your first thrifting trip! Thrifting is like treasure hunting, but a consignment store is a good baby step into the thrifting world. You found a great piece :)

The smells are sometimes hard to get over, but like Megan said, you can always wash it and you will never know the difference!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! My joints hurt just looking at that pose. Eek indeed!

I'm a thrift virgin! I know I should go thrifting because I see so many bloggers with great thrift finds, but I'm grossed out by the smell too. :(

C said...

I love what you found! The color is great.

And color me IMPRESSED that you did that pose. Seriously impressed.

LyddieGal said...

I sometimes feel discoraged by consignment store prices, I mean I know things are meant to be a higher standard, both in what garments are there, the condition, and the environment, but I can never shake the thought that I'm paying a premium for something already used.

Though I do really like your dress - that shade of green is awesome!

Chic on the Cheap

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

I'm like you, I never have any luck at a thrift shop - I either must not be going to the right ones or I am not seeing the "potential" in the pieces - probably both!

(And holy yogi, lady! I feel old and stiff - heck, I hurt myself in downward dog sometimes!)

'Tia said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS DRESS TOO!

www.fatandfierce.com