Monday, January 23, 2006

I love this song, "Joe," by the Cranberries. For obvious reasons. I remembering listening to it when we starting dating (through the whole ex-boyfriend drama). The Cranberries have been one of my favorite bands. I think I have almost all their albums, even when they weren't that radio-friendly. Of course, the Cranberries influence was from an old ex, Nick. My musical tastes have definitely been shaped by the boys that have been in my life.

Honestly, my own musical taste developed when I was younger than 10. Pop music. Live it, love it. Rick Springfield was my first love! Then of course, Duran Duran ruled. I expect 90% of the females born in the late 60's early 70's can name you their favorite member. John Taylor is still hot as well as Simon! I even saw Madonna at Texas Stadium. But towards the end of high school until present probably 80% of my music was not independently discovered. But I'm ok with that.

My college roommate, Karen, definitely influence me. Everything but the Girl, Sade and Cocoteau Twins, to name a few. I remember first hearing CT and thinking, "What in God's name is that racket??!!??" But Heaven or Las Vegas sold me. And the noisy stuff wasn't so bad.

Now I'm listening to probably one of my favorite songs of all time - "Shake the Disease" by Depeche Mode. I think they even played it when we saw them at the Toyota Center this year. The summer between my sophomore and junior years in high school I went to Europe with my high school orchestra. An amazing trip. I bought this tape, Catching up with Depeche Mode, on a whim. Turns out, the boy I had a crush on, Chuck, loved them. What a coincidence. Nothing ever came of that crush, but my love for Depeche has remained strong. Boys may come and go, but music lasts forever!

No comments: