Friday, August 12, 2011

Pass the veggies please

6 months ago I touched down in India and stopped eating meat. At the time, it was a decision made because southern India is primarily vegetarian and, to me, any meat that would be served would probably be questionable. I didn't really miss it much so decided to continue when I returned home.

{The last piece of animal flesh I ate was some duck on the way to India. I was traveling business class so the food wasn't half bad.}

Many yogis are vegetarian or even vegan for numerous reasons; mine was more, I don't really need it, my practice seems to be fine or even better without it, and I think I feel better since cutting it out of my diet (i.e. I don't have that "I-can't-move-because-I-am-so-stuffed" feeling). Now, granted, I have never been a huge carnivore - those enormous chicken breasts you can buy at the grocery store completely gross me out - but we did eat quite a bit of fish. I also love almost every vegetable there is and tofu as well, so finding substitutes hasn't been difficult.

I don't think I could ever be completely vegan because I still love eggs, butter is in practically everything when you eat out and I wear leather shoes and carry leather bags. Will I continue this vegetarian thing the rest of my life? I think so, especially if I plan on practicing yoga the rest of my life. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Now onto more pressing matters :)
08.11.11
all items remix'd
top: Anthro
skirt: Old Navy
shoes: Ann Taylor
necklace: Francesca's
cuff: Tiffany's, gift'd
belt: Gap

After the pattern mixing challenge, this outfit seems a little dull to me. I think I should have paired the top with the blue skirt I wore yesterday. THAT would be a fun mix!

08.11.11
I guess some days you will be more inspired than others.

Today is Friday but tomorrow is a working day for me, which is probably why I am not smiling in these photos. I hope you get a good weekend of rest!

5 comments:

Neris / Fashion Fractions said...

You look great, love your top! I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian for a while but that never happened... Good for you, though :)

Happy Friday!

Xxx,
Fashion Fractions

Rebecca said...

That top is really pretty, and that outfit isn't boring at all!

Ena said...

You look so chic! I love the autumnal colors you used in this outfit.

I used to be a vegan for a while, and I had to stop being one for some reasons, but I still love vegetarian foods :)

*Ena*

Megan Mae said...

I'd been wondering how you were handling that. I can say I've moved to a less-meat driven diet lately, but I do that anyway in the summer time. I respect people who can go vegetarian or vegan. I can't for health reasons, but I love seeing your meal pictures.

I love how matchy today's outfit is. The belt, shoes and skirt are all so perfect. Professional, but still fashion forward.

Between Laundry Days said...

First off, lovely outfit! It's so pretty!

Secondly, I TOTALLY relate to your recent vegetarianism. For the past 6 months or so, I've been doing what I'm calling "flex-itarianism". For me, a big part of eating right is supporting ethical, environmental, and economically-sensible businesses and methods. So I buy, and eat, meat from ethically-responsible local butchers, but never order it at restaurants or buy anything that's non-organic, non-natural, and non-local. It means, essentially, that my meat intake has decreased a TON, since my options are now narrowed to very few, and very expensive, choices. I've been working out a post about all this for awhile, and hope to get it up soon. It's a lot to think about, and I'm glad that so many people are thinking critically about what they eat. :)